The film development and co-production laboratory in West Africa, OUAGA FILM LAB is an initiative of a collective of producers, directors, film critics and cultural consultants named GENERATION FILMS, based in Burkina Faso, with international collaborators and partners.
The 6th edition of OUAGA FILM LAB will take place in Ouagadougou by the end of October 2021 in Ouagadougou – the exact dates will be communicated as soon as possible, depending on the evolution of the sanitary situation. It’s organized in close collaboration with EAVE (European Audiovisual Entrepreneurs), the French Institute (IF Paris, IF Burkina Faso, the Fabrique des cinémas du monde, the Cinémathèque Afrique), the Moulin d’Andé, the Festival international de film documentaire d’Agadir in Morocco (FIDADOC), Sud Ecriture (Tunisie), the Groupe Ouest (France), and Medienboard Berlin–Brandenburg (Germany) ; as well with the support of the Swiss Office for Cooperation in Burkina, the Centre National du Cinéma et de l’image animée, the International Organization of the Francophonie (OIF), the Goethe Institute of Ouagadougou, Canal Plus, TV5MONDE and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Burkina Faso.
This regulation is established to determine the criteria and general conditions of participation to the 6th edition of the Ouaga Film Lab.
Article 1: Liability
GENERATION FILMS ensures the artistic direction, the practical organization and freely chooses the resource persons of the project.
Article 2: Dates and place
OUAGA FILM LAB will take place in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, by the end of October 2021 in Ouagadougou – the exact dates will be communicated as soon as possible, depending on the evolution of the sanitary situation.
The deadline for registration is May 21st 2021.
Article 3: Objectives
The OUAGA FILM LAB development and co-production laboratory’s main goal is to strengthen the competitiveness of directors and producers of Central and West African countries for different major international laboratories and to facilitate their access to international residencies, local funding, international co-productions and their close collaboration with established mentors from the continent.
OUAGA FILM LAB presents a selection of cinematographic projects and offers to the selected project leaders (teams of directors and producers) an opportunity to develop their projects, to learn about techniques of presentation and to get in contact with potential partners, in order to facilitate the financing of their projects.
Article 4: Number of projects and candidates
For the 6th edition, OUAGA FILM LAB intends to select 10 projects and invite 20 participants (10 directors and 10 producers) for the residential phase in Ouagadougou. These project leaders will be put in contact with mentors, consultants with whom they will work before, during and after the Lab.
Article 5: Target Audience
OUAGA FILM LAB is dedicated to film project leaders from West and Central Africa :
- All projects must be presented by a director or producer.
- The director of the proposed project must be from one of the 25 countries of Central and West Africa, namely: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Cape Verde, Congo, Ivory Coast, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinée (Conakry), Guinea Bissau, Guinée Equatoriale, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, République centrafricaine, République Démocratique du Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tchad, Togo and Uganda.
- The producer must be from one of the 54 countries on the African continent.
Article 6: Formats and genres
Eligible projects must be feature films (more than 60 min), fiction, documentaries or animated films.
Article 7: Composition and language of the application
The files must be written in French or English. Any candidate (director or producer) can submit maximum 2 projects.
This file includes:
- The synopsis or a treatment of 10 pages maximum,
- The director’s note of intent (maximum 1 page),
- The producer’s note of intent (maximum 1 page),
- The curriculum vitae (focused on the filmography) of the director,
- The curriculum vitae (focused on the filmography) of the producer,
- The presentation of the production company,
- The detailed budget of the project (in local currency and in euros),
- A copy of the passport of the director,
- A copy of the passport of the producer,
- A Vimeo or Youtube link from the director’s last film, subtitled in French or English (short films and feature films are accepted).
Article 8: Registration modalities
Registration is free and can be done online at www.ouagafilmlab.net
Article 9: Deadline for registration and shipping address
Registration on the platform of the site www.ouagafilmlab.net must be done before May 21st 2021 at 00:00 GMT.
Article 10: Preselection
Any project whose documentation is incomplete at the closing of the call for projects will be excluded from the selection.
Article 11: Official Prizes
At the end of a residency training, meetings, and project pitching, several awards will be given to the best projects: grants for script writing residencies in Africa or in Europe, and access to producers network of international festivals.
Article 12: Services offered
OUAGA FILM LAB covers travel expenses from the city of residence of the participant to Ouagadougou; and accommodation expenses (accommodation, lunch and dinner as well as urban travel) for the director and producer of the selected project.
All the participants of the selected projects have the obligation to participate to all the activities of the lab during the whole week.
Article 13: counterparties
Holders of selected projects commit to:
- Add in the communication material of the finished film the words “With the participation of OUAGA FILM LAB”.
- This mention will show the logo “OUAGA FILM LAB” in the credits of the film. The OUAGA FILM LAB logo will be provided directly by Generation Films and must not, under any circumstances, be modified without its approval. All publications using the logo must receive the prior “print receipt” from Generation Films.
- Regularly inform the OUAGA FILM LAB team of the development and life events of these projects, in particular information on changes in production status, release date, participation in a festival, awards received, national and international diffusion and especially all useful information allowing to follow the life of the projects selected by OUAGA FILM LAB.
- Give a free DVD to OUAGA FILM LAB of the final edition of the film for archival purposes. This DVD will not be entrusted to a third person without the prior authorization of the director or producer.
Article 14: Information and information.
For any further information you can contact: firstname.lastname@example.org